What does EPC stand for?

Energy Performance Certificate. The certificate contains the EPC rating.

When do I need an EPC?

An EPC is required under UK law when you are selling or letting a domestic or non-domestic (commercial) building. You may also need one as part of your application for the Feed-in Tariff.

Do all buildings require an EPC?

Some non-domestic buildings are exempt from an EPC such as places of worship, buildings due for demolition, Listed buildings and those under 50m2. Ofgem has its own view on EPC exemptions, so if you are applying for a Feed-in Tariff, you may still need one even if one of the above conditions applies – contact us for some guidance.

What does the EPC involve?

An EPC involves a site visit to collect data about the building fabric, heating, ventilation and cooling systems, lighting and hot water.

How long will it take?

For a small domestic EPC, it may only take around 30 minutes on site. For a commercial EPC, the time taken will depend on the size and complexity of the building; anything from 30 minutes to several hours.

What are the ratings?

The EPC scale goes from A to G, A being better.

What does the EPC rating mean?

For a commercial building, the rating gives you an indication of the energy performance of the building, in terms of CO2 emissions. For a domestic building, the rating gives you an indication of the energy costs involved in running the house.

What rating do I need to get the higher rate of Feed-in Tariff?

A to D EPC rating is required.

How much does an EPC cost?

Domestic EPCs are cheaper than commercial EPCs, as there is much less information to be collected and the buildings tend to be smaller. The cost depends on the size and complexity of the building. Contact us for a no obligation quote.

If you would like more information please call us on
07515 442665, 07974 567272 or email us

Please enter your name, email and telephone number below and we will get in touch as soon as possible.

Fields marked with an * are required